zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Altezza Club Of NZ/Australia. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

See here-
http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezzaclu...=0#entry8690150

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

1jz-gte Altezza As200
Leiden
Posted: Aug 13 2007, 10:03 PM

NZ, Whangarei

Group: VIP Member
Member No.: 2,711

I've been looking around at a few threads and figured rather than trying to convert my RS200Z 5AT into a manual and turbo'in the thing it would be much cheaper to buy a cheap AS200 auto and drop a 1JZ-GTE TT supra block/w55 tranny into the car.

I've had a look at the conversion thread where Shane got his done but I just need a few quick answers to some questions regarding the process.

I've done a 4AGE to 4AGZE conversion in a MK1 Toyota MR2 which wasn't too much of an issue. Mainly wiring the ECU to the non supercharged loom was the biggest problem but I soon sorted it out with wiring diagrams of each.

Ok here's a few quick questions:

Will the 1JZ-GTE drop in place of the AS200's motor?
Will the engine mounts and such line up?

From what I've gathered the W55 gearbox will fit into the Altezza, the main issue was the bellhousing (in the case of a manual conversion) but since I'll be getting a 1JZ-GTE with gearbox that shouldnt be an issue.

What about the drive shaft, will I need a new one or will the old drive shaft work with the W55?

I know the looms going to be a bit of fun but hey, I've had experience doing it before and I am after all an Electrician/Technician so that shouldnt be an issue. Hell I'll de-loom and re-run everything if I have to!

That should do for now, so basically all I want to know is will the 1JZ-GTE/W55 drop in place of the old motor?

--------------------
grahamd
Posted: Aug 13 2007, 10:43 PM

Toowoomba, AUS

Member No.: 67

What's an AS200? Assume that is the code for an IS200.

1JZ fits, engine mounts line up, W55 fits, drive shaft has to be modified one end, wiring is a bit above the ordinary as the existing ECU has to remain active in place.

Been there, done that, can offer help if genuine and not a tyre kicker.

--------------------
Graham D
RX350 Sports Luxury
IS200 Sports Luxury with 2.5GT-T & Getrag 6 speed
IS200 Sports Luxury Auto (Wife's car so no mods allowed)
Suzuki GSX750-F
No wonder the garage is full.
Leiden
  Posted: Aug 14 2007, 05:00 PM

NZ, Whangarei

The AS200 is Toyota's version of the Lexus with the same 1G-FE Inline 6.

Yes I'm very keen on doing the conversion provided I can sell my current RS200Z 5AT at a reasonable price and get a cheap AS200 from Japan. I can get a 1JZ-GTE for around $1800 with W55 gearbox from trademe.

Thats great to hear that it all bolts in place with fairly minimal modification. It makes me even more eager to get things rolling. I do however have a few concerns about the hybrid.

Will I need to get an engineers report once its complete to be able to drive it legally on the road?

Will such an increase in power will other parts of the car need to be upgraded such as brakes, abs etc?

Why does the old ecu need to remain in place? Why cant I use a PowerFC or similar in its place?

I see over on lexusownersclub that you have a spreadsheet of the connections that you used to wire your 1JZ-GTE into the car. Would it be possible to get a copy as that would help tremendiously!

That should do for now! Thanks. biggrin.gif

--------------------
alimac
Posted: Aug 14 2007, 07:35 PM

Canterbury, NZ

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 935

Youll definitely need to get it certified. From my experience it's well worth talking to the certifier at VTNZ before you start and explain exactly what you plan to do. He will tell what he requires and you'll know exactly where youare and what you need to do. Talking to him first potentially will save you a lot of hassles later on.

--------------------
Yellow RS200z 6MT
grahamd
Posted: Aug 14 2007, 10:57 PM

Toowoomba, AUS

Will I need to get an engineers report once its complete to be able to drive it legally on the road? - Yes, or at least you do in Australia.

Will such an increase in power will other parts of the car need to be upgraded such as brakes, abs etc? - No, the brakes on the IS200 are the same as the entire Lexus sedan range right through to the LS400. Of course if you want to upgrade look for the Supra JZA80 4 piston version but they are very scarce.

Why does the old ecu need to remain in place? Why cant I use a PowerFC or similar in its place? - The ECU is connected to all the other computers in the car via a multiplex network. Without it there the car doesn't work. The engine ECU is also required to keep the climate control working. Doesn't matter what ECU you end up using it will always be a piggyback off the standard one and share a lot of signals.

If you want the spreadsheet you will need to PM me with your email address. Remember the spreadsheet is for the VVTi version. If your 1JZ is the twin-turbo version it won't be the same.

--------------------
Graham D
RX350 Sports Luxury
Suzuki GSX750-F
Leiden
Posted: Aug 15 2007, 07:56 PM

NZ, Whangarei

Thanks guys,

I'll give VTNZ a call and explain to them what I want to achieve and what steps would need to be taken along the way.

I'll PM you my email grahamd. Regarding the VVT is that just a few extra wires or a totally different mix compared to a twin turbo non VVT.

As for the 1GFE ecu, can engine sensors/injectors/direct coils and such be cut from the 1GFE loom or do they still need to be connected up? Which other computers in the vehicle are you referring to? As far as I know the automagic AS200 doesn't have any fancy traction control, just the power/snow modes but since I'm taking the auto out that shouldn't be an issue right? There's still the ABS and SRS computers though :/ I doubt a 1991 Supra had that fancy stuff wink.gif

--------------------
grahamd
Posted: Aug 15 2007, 10:55 PM

Toowoomba, AUS

I cut the 1G-FE loom completely off the engine with about 400mm of wire left on it then spliced any wires needed into the 1JZ harness.

Some of the sensors have to be shared. For the coils I made a circuit board to simulate them still being there.

--------------------
Graham D
RX350 Sports Luxury
Suzuki GSX750-F
Leiden
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 05:29 PM

NZ, Whangarei

Ok sweet, so far so good.

Regading the circuit board for the coils, was that just a matter of finding a few resistors that have the same ohms rating as the coils, or a little more complex?

Just another thing thats been bugging me. I'm probably going to end up with a 1JZ-GTE with a rear sump. I noticed that yours had a front sump on it. Is this going to be an issue (clearance?) or can I run with the rear sump ok?

--------------------
grahamd
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 08:31 PM

Toowoomba, AUS

Slightly more than a few resistors - not too hard to make. I have to draw it up for another bloke so will send you a copy.

I think it would be difficult to fit a rear sump - I had to even cut some of my front sump to clear the cross member. Will check - I have most of the critical engine measurements on a Cad file from when I did the VL conversion.

--------------------
Graham D
RX350 Sports Luxury
Suzuki GSX750-F
Leiden
Posted: Aug 16 2007, 09:27 PM

NZ, Whangarei

Ok so I'll probably definately need to get a front sump and do a little welding. Mhmm is it aluminium or steel?

Now for the dual ecu. So basically I just double the inputs from the sensors into each of the ecu's and cut all the out's (injectors, spark, etc) from the 1GFE and wire those into the 1JZGTE ecu (if using existing loom but I'll probably rewire most of that). Were there any sensors that didnt work on the 1GFE ecu?

Just curious, but why does the 1GFE ecu need the fake injectors hack? Without that would it just CEL and prevent the ABS, TRC, and Climate computers from working properly?

So far things are coming along well. I've ordered 2 new tail lights to get my current RS200Z fixed up. Should get $13000 hopefully once it sells. I could probably get a AS200 with high k's from Japan for around $7000. So that would be around $8500 complied and road legit. Can get a 1JZGTE non vvt for around the $1500 mark, bell housing and w55 gearbox for another $800. If all goes well I should come in under the $13000. Sounds hopeful dry.gif

--------------------
grinder
Posted: Aug 18 2007, 11:49 PM

Sleeper

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Leiden @ Aug 16 2007, 09:27 PM)
If all goes well I should come in under the $13000. Sounds hopeful dry.gif

Hopefull isnt the word I would of used tongue.gif
Leiden
Posted: Aug 19 2007, 10:26 AM

NZ, Whangarei

LOL yeah. I can definately get a cheap Altezza off my brother in law who works for Autoterminal for under $10k. I also know I can get a 1JZ-GTE + R154 for around the $3k mark or cheaper if I just got a W55.

I'm pretty sure I can manage with most of the wiring. I have plenty of diagrams for the 1JZ and the full wiring layout for the IS200. The only thing thats going to be a little strange is wiring the old ecu to remain active. Thats something new wink.gif

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Engines Intakes Exhausts | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive